The Library of Congress Control Number (LCCN) is the number associated with the bibliographic record created by the Library of Congress for a given book. Librarians and retailers can find books using this national database, and the database information assists them with cataloging books they have acquired.
NOTE: The Library of Congress requires a book to be at least 50 pages to receive an LCCN.
BOOKLOCKER’S LCCN SERVICE INCLUDES:
1. Filing the required documentation for your book with the Library of Congress prior to publication. The process is done online, and via email. We usually obtain an LCCN in just 2-4 business days. (Needless to say, this is THE fastest government office we have ever worked with!)
2. We will add this information to your copyright page prior to publication:
Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication Data
[Author Last Name, First Name]
[Title] by [Author Name]
[Category 1 | Category 2| Category 3]
Library of Congress Control Number: [Inserted by BookLocker on receipt from the Library of Congress]
3. The author will be required to send a copy of their book to the Library of Congress after publication. BookLocker can provide that address and additional info.
Why is a Library of Congress Control Number important?
- The Library of Congress database is available via the Internet, and can be searched for works that the Library of Congress has cataloged.
- The Preassigned Control Number (PCN) program assigns a Library of Congress Control Number (LCCN) (aka Library of Congress Card Number). The publisher prints the control number in the book, and thereby facilitates cataloging and other book processing activities for libraries and book sellers who obtain copies of the book. An initial bibliographic record is also created for many of these works when the number is assigned.
For two or more titles, multiply your number of titles x the $50 fee, and enter it in the order form at the link above. Paperbacks and hardcovers are considered different titles.
COMPARE (all amounts include federal filing fees):
Balboa Press: $90
InfinityPublishing/FastPencil: $299 (includes copyright registration)
Trafford.com: Must purchase $1499 publishing package
Mill City Press: Must purchase $1,947 publishing package
Westbow Press: Must purchase $1,995 publishing package
Lulu: Must purchase $1,999 publishing package
Dog Ear Publishing: Service not offered
Xulon Press: Service not offered
Outskirts Press: Service not offered
BookBaby: Service not offered
For two or more titles, multiply your number of titles x the $99 fee, and enter it in the order form at the link above. Paperbacks and hardcovers are considered different titles.
The Fine Print:
If you have paperback and hardcover editions, the fee will be $50 x 2 because each edition is considered a different book. The $50 fee is per ISBN.
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS CONTROL NUMBER FAQ
WHERE CAN IS SIGN UP?
Click HERE. The cost is $50 per title. You only need one, even if your book is paperback, hardcover, and or ebook formats.
CAN I ORDER MY LCCN AND COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION AT THE SAME TIME?
Yes. The cost is $50 for the LCCN and $99 for the copyright registration. Total: $149. Use THIS ORDER FORM.
DOES THIS APPLY TO ME?
Our LCCN service is for books that not yet on the market and where the author has not yet obtained their own.
I ALREADY OBTAINED MY LCCN. DO I NEED TO PAY YOU TO RE-DO IT?
WHY DIDN’T YOU OBTAIN THIS WHEN IT WAS FIRST PUBLISHED?
We did not begin offering LCCN services until October, 2018 so the cost was not included in our low setup fees. We are offering this service as a convenience to authors who don’t want to navigate the government’s website themselves. Our competitors charge $75 or more for the exact same service. We only charge $50.
DO I NEED TO OBTAIN LCCNs FOR MY PAPERBACK, HARDCOVER AND EBOOK EDITIONS?
No. The LCCN form asks us which formats your book will be in so you really only need one.